LBS360.NET is the leading source of information, news and commentary in the fields of geospatial and location-based technologies. We keep our readers informed with news and technology issues quickly and thoroughly via a variety of offerings. We maintain the industry’s most knowledgeable editorial and management team each member of which has substantial experience as a practitioner of geospatial technology.
LBS360.NET will maintain the same high caliber of editorial review that you expect from this and other publications of Directions Media. LBS360.NET will cover topics related to:
- Wireless location-based services
- Location enabling technology platforms
- Location determination hardware and services (GPS, RFID, Wi-Fi, Microwave, etc.)
- Field service Management
- Mobile Resource Management
- Software and application development
- Web mapping portals
- Handsets and other mobile devices
- Real-time geospatial data
What are Location Services?
Location services enable customized information to be delivered or made available based on the specific location of the user. Knowing where the user is at any given time adds a valuable dimension to the kinds of services that can be offered.
As Harry Niedzwiadek writes in his feature article, “All businesses are in pursuit of just-in-time actionable information – just the right information, at the right time, at the right location, on any device – from which they can make effective decisions and take immediate action.” This observation applies equally to individuals in our daily lives. At some points in our lives, we have all found a need to know, for example, where the closest Pizza Palace is and how to get to it from wherever we happen to be at the moment, with a car full of hungry kids! Also check out What are Location Services? – From a GIS Perspective, by Ian Koeppel, ESRI Location Services Industry Manager.
Within the mobile wireless network community, there are two distinct aspects of Location Services:
Location Services (also called Mobile Positioning or Mobile Position Determination technology) deliver specific information about the geographic location (i.e., position) of mobile terminals such as mobile telephones, PDAs, and other devices attached to other moveable items such as people, packages and vehicles.
Location Application Services (also called Location-based Services) deliver end-user applications, normally based on knowing the position of a user with their mobile terminal. These services can be delivered through a wide range of devices, including wireless phones, in-vehicle tracking modules and other types of mobile terminals. Location Application Services also support operations throughout a location-enabled enterprise, including such applications as customer relationship management, accounting, network planning, inventory management, field service, network management, inside/outside plant, and so on.
From a user’s perspective the distinction between Location Services and Location Application Services may not be important. For simplicity, we use the general term Location Services to describe the infrastructure and services that deliver location-based information to users and are available across fixed and mobile networks, such that they can be used by anyone, anywhere at any time and on any device. Location Services become integral to the enterprise (and to the way individuals behave) when they are ubiquitous, efficient and easy to use.
Business or a company management is a very hard work, and there is no doubt in it. Many employees in different firms think that the managers only get money and take credit while they do the main works. This situation is even worse in the case of small companies. So, the problematic issue here is about the effective management of work.
So, most of the IT companies offer the service called outsourcing which is quite beneficial and at the same time risky for different organizations. Many of the firms get succeeded by cutting costs related to business functions related to the IT departments, accounting departments, marketing and HRM department, etc.
You can also run a company on your own with the managed IT outsourcing option without the selection and recruitment of a single employee.
However, 3R factor is always linked with IT outsourcing, and it represents three aspects of this style of IT service. That are- Reasons, Rewards, Risks.
Reasons for IT Outsourcing
- With outsourcing, you can eliminate certain aspects from the equation, such as- the cost of hiring employees, training them, health insurance, management oversight, retirement plans of the employees and employment taxes.
- You can mainly focus on the core competencies of the company which is quite practical in this competitive world.
- ROI in the case of IT outsourcing is unbelievably more as you, in this case, will be in the great hands of an experienced company. You can also get benefited from the collective experience of many IT professionals.
- The outsourced IT firms have sufficient human resource, impressive industrial training as well as certifications.
- While maximizing the cost improvement, quality improvement, product and service development, as a whole restricting the company, outsourcing the best option.
Rewards associated with IT Outsourcing
- With this approach, many organizations get multiple resources. While there is a chance that the internal employees can limit the resources as well as capabilities, there is no such risk associated with the outsourcing service of an IT company.
- You don’t have to encourage the employees to get up-to-date with the new technologies, software and hardware by choosing the outsourcing services.
- There are many financial benefits associated with this service as you can rely on bulk purchasing, the option of leasing software and hardware, etc.
- The outsourcing companies have well-experienced and capable employees who can help you with your issues of IT, and you don’t have to give job security to the employees.
Risks of this IT service
- There are several IT functions that can’t be outsourced easily due to the complex automated factors.
- There is severe risk involved with confidentiality of the information in case of outsourcing Information Technology services.
- Disaster recovery is another risk associated with it.
- Control might be out of your hand with the approach of IT outsourcing.
- Many of the famous outsourcing companies require a signed contract of one year or two years in the case of which you may limit the factor of flexibility and get yourself locked in.